We’re all fairly familiar with the appearance of mold. That whitish, greenish, brown, or even occasionally black substance that forms on the oranges we lost in the deep, dark depths of the pantry. You’re likely also aware that mold can cultivate in the home, predominantly in areas where moisture is present. Finding a mold colony, whether in the kitchen, bathroom, or even a bedroom, can be quite the cause for stress and frustration, and rightfully so.
At ServiceMaster Absolute, our experts handle mold remediation on a routine basis, cleaning and restoring space that has been overrun. We build our success on a firm base of comprehensive knowledge, and today we would like to share a part of that knowledge with you. Namely, the possible dangers of mold and the importance of removing it from your home.
Risks of Structural Damage in Your San Diego Home
Mold can be a plague to your home’s structure, spreading rapidly within even a single day and doing severe harm. Left unchecked, it can cause:
- Weakening of walls, floors, and ceilings. Anywhere mold is present will begin to wear as the fungus takes hold, as the infestation feeds on organic materials. This can result in a softening of the materials in use as rot sets in, making walls and floors sag. This can potentially evolve into a full collapse, and so mold remediation should be sought immediately.
- Loss of personal property. Due to how mold spreads, personal items and property are at risk as well. Items stored in cardboard or wood, or items that sit alone can become infested and experience the same ruinous rot as your walls or ceiling.
- Foul, musty odors. Both mold itself and the rot it creates are sources of highly offensive odors. These can set into the air you breathe, furniture, and fabrics and can be quite hard to remove.
- Ventilation damage. Mold releases countless spores throughout the day, much of which is likely to end up in your ventilation system. Heating and cooling systems will begin to lose efficiency and could potentially fail if the colony spreads into critical components.
Mold and Potential Health Risks
Those who already are sensitive to common allergens suffer the most from a mold infestation. But even a perfectly healthy individual can suffer various symptoms (CDC) if an infestation is large enough, or allowed to spread. Common symptoms include:
- Itchiness around the eyes and nose
- Skin agitation
- Wheezing and respiratory complications
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose, cough, and sneezing
- And potentially fever or weakened immune system
Expert Mold Remediation Services in Chula Vista
It’s important to note that mold can spread rapidly within even a single day. If you’re experiencing common mold symptoms or notice signs of mold in your home (water spots, mildew, musty smells) contact ServiceMaster Absolute right away!
Our experts can guarantee complete recovery from a mold infestation, and our service is second to none! Make your appointment online today and make your home mold free!