Water can be your best friend or your worst enemy, it all depends on the circumstances.
On a hot summer day, water provides comfort in the form of a way to cool off if it’s confined within the lining of a swimming pool, or even a way to stay hydrated if presented in a water bottle.
However, the sinister side of water is revealed when it’s allowed to roam free in your home thanks to a clogged toilet or broken pipe. At that point, it’s only a matter of time before water goes from being a minor nuisance to a full-on disaster – and things only get worse as the clock keeps ticking.
Here’s a breakdown of the water damage that occurs when water attacks your home and is not addressed in a timely fashion:
Time Lapsed: Minutes
- Water saturation spreads to surrounding areas, increasing both the scope and cost of your loss.
- Visible furniture discoloration and carpet staining.
- Paper products begin to swell, warp and split.
Time Lapsed: Hours
- Wet drywall begins to absorb water.
- Uncoated metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture delaminates, swells, warps, and legs begin to split.
- Usual household odors become more apparent, and a “sour” odor may develop from standing water.
- “Clean water” (category 1) damage begins to turn into category 2 water damage (aka “grey water”).
Time Lapsed: Days
- Water damage is now classified as category 2 (“grey water”).
- Uncoated metal surfaces start to rust.
- Mold begins to develop, bringing a stronger musty odor with it.
- Window casings and doors swell, warp, or delaminate.
- Wood decking, joists, and studs begin to swell, warp, and split.
- Electronic devices within the affected area may suffer malfunction.
- Drywall, sheetrock, gypcrete & other porous materials exposed to water begin to swell and disintegrate.
- Deteriorating indoor air quality poses a health risk to occupants, especially those with existing health conditions and/or compromised immune systems.
Time Lapse: Weeks
- “Grey water” (category 2) damage left untreated is now classified as “Black Water” (category 3) damage.
- Indoor air quality now poses a serious health risk and proper personal protection equipment is required to enter the affected area.
- Liability increases on insurance claims due to the serious occupant health hazards presented by untreated category 3 water damage.
- Mold associated with prolonged dampness damages natural fibers, paper covers on wet drywall, paneling, wood, and other building materials.
- Claim costs on related water damage claims spike due to contaminated building materials requiring removal & replacement.
Interested in our Water Damage Restoration Services?