A lot of people in southern California don’t think that water damage can cause many problems in their home, partially because Southern California doesn’t get that much rain and partially because they have never had any water damage to their home in the past.
For those of you who haven’t experienced it, water damage can be extensive, expensive and time consuming. Here are just a few statistics as to how frequent water damage and water leaks actually do happen:
- 14% of water delivered to the average home is lost due to leaks within the home.
- A crack no larger than 1/8 an inch can release up to 250 gallons of water on any given day.
- Water damage is the 2nd most frequently filed homeowners claim in the United States, according to the American Insurance Association.
- 40% of all homeowners have reported a loss or claim due to water damage in their home.
- Water Damage accounts for over 20% of all reported property loss.
- Over 90% of water damage in your home could be prevented.
It’s a little overwhelming how much damage a little thing like water, or a 1/8 inch crack in a pipe, can do when you look at it from a statistics point of view. So as you can see in Southern California, specifically, San Diego, water damage is more prevalent than most people think. So be sure you take the appropriate steps to prevent this costly occurrence from happening in your home.
As soon as you realize you have water damage:
- Find the leak
- Block water flow if there is any
- Move appliances and electronics to a safer place
- Provide airflow into the house
- Clean up residing water
- Call a professional for help
Luckily, however, if this does happen to you, ServiceMaster Absolute is available 24/7/365 and will handle this for you in a quick, efficient and proper manner. With 27 years of experience and our staff of dedicated employees we would be happy to assist you any time, day or night, in this time of crisis.