Why is Mold Growing in My Home?

Molds are microscopic organisms that can be found nearly everywhere – both inside and outside of your home. Mold is beneficial to the natural environment as it breaks down dead organic matter (like dead trees or fallen leaves), but it can become quite the problem if it begins to grow indoors.

Molds reproduce via tiny airborne spores that are invisible to the naked eye. Mold spores are extremely hardy and can withstand conditions in which mold cannot grow, such as harsh and dry environments. It is only when these tiny spores land on a wet surface that mold begins to grow.

Can the Presence of Mold Affect My Health?

Yes, mold produces allergens, irritants, and in some cases, mytoxins which have the ability to cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals if they touch or inhale mold or mold spores.

Typical symptoms of a mold allergy includes runny nose, sneezing, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis); however, mold can also cause more serious reactions if an individual has an underlying health condition like asthma or chronic lung disease.

Allergic reactions to mold are common, and research on both mold and the impact it has on human health is ongoing.

How Can I Prevent Mold or Get Rid of It?

The best way to prevent mold growth in your home would be to control the moisture & humidity levels in your home. Never hesitate to clean up any water spills and repair all water leaks in a timely fashion. Remember, it only takes 24-48 hours for mold to develop when your home suffers water damage.

If you do discover that mold is growing in your home, it is important that you not only clean up the mold, but fix any water leaks that lead up to it. Failing to fix the source of the problem will likely result in future mold growth.