Halloween is filled with bright oranges, yellows, reds, spooky blues, blacks, and purples. These colors, however, should come from sources you can control—like the striping on your candy corn—instead of the flames of a house fire. While it can be easy to get caught up in the fall festivities with decoration and costume fever, it’s important to remain alert and aware of the possibilities of a house fire. At ServiceMaster Absolute, we want our customers to be capable when it comes to preventing a Halloween-related house fire in San Diego, CA.
- Some of the biggest culprits of house fires during the Halloween season are open flames. Candles may add to a spooky flair, but they are often left unattended or forgotten. Even flames within eyesight can be a hazard if they are too close to flammable materials (including pets and children). Ditch the candles in your jack-o-lanterns this year for some battery-operated tea lights.
- String lights also have the potential to cause a house fire. Follow the electrical instructions on the box to make sure you have the correct currents flowing from each output source. Set up all your light strings and electrically-operated decorations away from other decorations to help keep your home safe.
- Avoid highly flammable decorations in general, such as corn husks, crepe paper, helium balloons, paper bags, dry leaves, and cheap polyester.
- Inspect all your old decorations before using them.
- Costume parties can get a little out of hand, which means there can be an increased risk of a house fire, especially if open flames and smoking guests are involved. Make sure your guests smoke outside, and follow our decoration safety tips to prevent fire-related costume disasters.
- Try to find fire-retardant costumes for your children, and teach them stop-drop-and-roll maneuvers.
- Stay away from costumes with loose trailing pieces, capes, long wigs, and costumes with open flames as props.
We don’t want to put a damper on your holiday spirits; we just want you to be safe this Halloween. For more tips on preventing a house fire in San Diego, CA contact us at ServiceMaster Absolute.