Autumn has arrived!
The weather is cooling down, leaves are changing shades, and soon we will all be dreaming of spooky costumes (Halloween) and dinners so delicious they just HAVE to be fattening (Thanksgiving).
Obviously falling outdoor temperatures, home decorating and holiday cooking brings an increase in the number of plugged-in devices, so we’ve put together a handy-dandy list of fire safety tips to keep your family safe and sound during the beautiful fall season.
- Before it gets too cold out, make sure you turn on your heater to make sure it works and have a technician come out to look at it if you suspect it needs servicing.
- Double-check that there are no flammable materials or liquids near your furnace.
- If you have a fireplace, make sure the bricks, mortar and liner are in good condition and verify that the chimney is free of debris or creosote build-up to ensure proper ventilation.
- If you use space heaters, make sure that they kept a safe-distance away from furniture and fabrics, do your best to avoid leaving them unattended around children or pets, and always remember to turn them off when you leave the house.
- Never use your space heater to dry clothing items.
- Do not attempt to warm your kitchen by turning on the gas range or turning on the oven with the oven door open. By doing that you are releasing toxic fumes into your home that are unsafe to breathe.
- If you burn candles, make sure they are not placed near any flammable materials or left unattended.
- Avoid dryer fires by cleaning out the lint trap after EVERY load.
- Inspect all of your outdoor lighting fixtures to make sure they are in working order.
- Perform a roof and gutter check to make sure you’re prepared for the rainy season and won’t have any surprise leaks.
- Always keep matches and lighters out of the reach of both children and pets.
Photo: Amy Loves Yah
Interested in our Water Damage Restoration Services?