Alright, disaster has struck and now water is gushing from a busted pipe or ruptured appliance water supply line.
Do you know what to do? (Note: “freak out” is not an acceptable response.)
- Stop the water flow at its source – Your first course of action is to figure out where the water is coming from and put a stop to it. If you are unable to pinpoint the source, you may want to shut off the water supply to the entire house to minimize the amount of water damage done.
- Call your insurance provider – Don’t hesitate to notify your insurance provider if the damage is extensive enough to warrant an insurance claim. The sooner they know about it, the sooner your premiums can start working for you.
- Call the professionals in – Contact your local plumber and water damage restoration company (like ServiceMaster Absolute!) and have them come out as quickly as possible. The plumber will be able to check out what went wrong while ServiceMaster Absolute can work on cleaning up the area and salvaging your personal belongings.
- Put your safety first – Survey the area that just suffered water damage: are there any electrical appliances in the area and is there a risk of electric shock? Remember: water and electricity do NOT mix so if you’re unsure about the safety of the area, cut the power to the room just to be safe. Watch for slippery walkways as well.
- Remove personal belongings from the affected area – Once you have determined the area is safe to enter, move any personal belongings and/or furniture out of harm’s way.
- Dry off what you can – After you’ve cleared the room some, start drying everything off by opening any doors & windows (should the weather permit), turn on a few fans, and use towels to wipe/soak up excess water.
- Start cleaning ASAP – Once you get the ball rolling on the dry out process you can begin cleaning and disinfecting the water damaged area. This will lower the chances of mold developing, which is definitely something you don’t want to happen.
If your home has suffered water damage, contact ServiceMaster Absolute by calling (800) 677-6756 or filling out our online service request form. The ServiceMaster team is made up of highly trained and IIRC certified professionals that are armed with the best water damage restoration gear and equipment, and we are available 24/7 for emergency service.